SLPS Developer Discussion Developer level questions on Code Protection, Licensing, customisation APIs etc
InishTech Support Forums > SLPS Developer Discussion > Installer Class Fails during installation. Login to add this as a favourite.
wqwalter - 4/23/2010 5:50:02 AM

Installer Class Fails during installation.

I have the following Installer Class

using System.ComponentModel;

usingSlps.Licing.Installation;

namespace Optimal4

{

[RunInstaller(true)]

Public class Installer : PermutationInstallerBase

{

Public Installer() : base("88196")

{

}

}

}

When I install the program and the installer action runs I get the following error.

>>> 04/23/2010 00:24:42.712: Error, [MsiExec.exe:12664:1,User:SYSTEM] - Exception. Microsoft1Licensing1Runtime210A5: Failed to find implementation type ---> Microsoft.Licensing.Utils.GenException: Failed to find a type of Microsoft.Licensing.ISLMRuntimeImpl in permutation assembly Microsoft.Licensing.Permutation_88196_2.0, Version=1.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5b7832056d5afd0b
   at Microsoft1Licensing1Runtime210C3.A(Assembly A_0)
   at Microsoft1Licensing1Runtime210C3.B(Assembly A_0)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft1Licensing1Runtime210C3.B(Assembly A_0)
   at Microsoft1Licensing1Runtime210C3.D()
Stack trace:
   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
   at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at Microsoft1Licensing1Utils210I7.A(LogSeverity A_0, String A_1, String A_2)
   at Microsoft.Licensing.Utils.Logging.DefaultLogger.A(LogSeverity A_0, Object A_1)
   at Microsoft.Licensing.Utils.Logging.DefaultLogger.A(LogSeverity A_0, Object A_1, Exception A_2)
   at Microsoft.Licensing.Utils.Logging.DefaultLogger.Error(Object message, Exception exception)
   at Microsoft1Licensing1Utils210JQ.A(Type A_0, LogSeverity A_1, Exception A_2)
   at Microsoft.Licensing.Utils.Log.Write(Exception oExc)
   at Microsoft1Licensing1Runtime210C3.D()
   at Microsoft1Licensing1Runtime210C3.E()
   at Microsoft1Licensing1Runtime210AH.B()
   at Microsoft1Licensing1Runtime210AH.F()
   at Microsoft.Licensing.SLMRuntime.Microsoft.Licensing.ISLMInstall.RootRegKeyCanBeOpenedForWrite()
   at Slps.Licensing.Installation.PermutationInstallerBase.A()
   at Slps.Licensing.Installation.PermutationInstallerBase.ExecuteInstall()
   at Slps.Licensing.Installation.PermutationInstallerBase.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
   at System.Configuration.Install.Installer.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
   at System.Configuration.Install.AssemblyInstaller.Install(IDictionary savedState)
   at System.Configuration.Install.ManagedInstallerClass.InstallHelper(String[] args)
   at System.Configuration.Install.ManagedInstallerClass.System.Configuration.Install.IManagedInstaller.ManagedInstall(String argString, Int32 hInstall)

I have checked the installation directory and the Licensing libraries are there and are all version 3.0.1908.464 what could I be doing wrong? If I don't run the installer calss I get the error about not having the license area initilized.

InishTech Dev
InishTech Dev
RBartelink - 4/23/2010 9:20:35 AM

RE:Installer Class Fails during installation.

Hi Bill,

Unfortunately this is due to a bug in the 3.0.1908.464 release. We're planning to upload a patch early next week - the patch has been in beta test over the last week.

The issue occurs when the installer (installutil or the main EXE of your installer) is in a different directory to that of your SLPS DLLs.

Until the upload of the patch takes place, there easiest workaround for testing purposes is if its possible for you (on a temporary basis) to copy installutil to the same directory and invoke it from that same directory.

Apologies for the time lost in chasing this on your side.

--Ruben

wqwalter - 4/23/2010 12:31:31 PM

My EXE that has the Installer Class Optimal4.EXE, Microsoft.licinsing.permutation_88196_2.0.dll, Microsoftlicensing.runtime2.0.dll, and Microsoft.licensing.Utils2.0.dll are all in the installation directory. What else needs to be in that directory for the program to run?

wqwalter - 4/23/2010 12:42:08 PM

What is instalutil that you are refering to andhow do you run it?

InishTech Dev
InishTech Dev
RBartelink - 4/23/2010 12:52:05 PM

wqwalter wrote: What is instalutil that you are refering to andhow do you run it?

Hi Bill,

Sorry for not expanding on that. Installutil is the standard .NET tool that sits in the framework directory (discussed to a degree in http://www.inishtech.com/KB7)

One can either invoke it from a CMD prompt or as an installer action. See KB7 for details.

wqwalter - 4/23/2010 12:59:15 PM

Are you saying use instalutil instead of the installer class or are you saying I need to find this util and copy it to my installation directory? What specifically do I need to do today to install my application on a new computer?

InishTech Dev
InishTech Dev
RBartelink - 4/23/2010 12:58:50 PM

wqwalter wrote: My EXE that has the Installer Class Optimal4.EXE, Microsoft.licinsing.permutation_88196_2.0.dll, Microsoftlicensing.runtime2.0.dll, and Microsoft.licensing.Utils2.0.dll are all in the installation directory. What else needs to be in that directory for the program to run?

Hi Bill,

Ordinarily, nothing else needs to be in the directory.

However in this case, because of this bug, the EXE loading the DLL needs to be in the same directory.

In other words, if installutil.exe is going to be the one doing the loading, it needs to be in the same directory. Ditto Slps.Runtime.Configuration.exe.

In the case of a third party installation utility, you'll probably not be able to put your DLLs beside it's EXE (which would be extracted on invocation).

So if you put installutil.exe beside your EXE and the SLPS DLLs, it should work.

Hope this clarifies somewhat.

--Ruben

wqwalter - 4/23/2010 1:01:42 PM

Where do I get a copy of installutil.exe I don't see a copy in the Inish installation directory on my machine?

wqwalter - 4/23/2010 1:10:09 PM

I found a file called instalutil.exe and I added it to my diostribution directory with the setup MSI package. What next?

wqwalter - 4/23/2010 1:08:52 PM

I am completly confused. Do I add instalutility.exe to the files distributed with my application and then just do the Installer action that is in my Optimal4.exe as part of the setup or do I disable that action and manually run instalutility?

1 2

There are currently no users on-line.

• Locked sticky
  • Hot sticky
  • Hot locked sticky
  • Thread
  • Hot thread
  • Locked thread