Software Licensing and Protection Business Discussion For those concerned with the business aspects of licensing and protection and with learning how other individuals are thinking about licensing and protection strategies
InishTech Support Forums > Software Licensing and Protection Business Discussion > Does License Locked to Client Machine prevent an attempt to activate multiple machines if Max Activations is > 1? Login to add this as a favourite.
wqwalter - 2/6/2010 9:37:25 PM

Does License Locked to Client Machine prevent an attempt to activate multiple machines if Max Activations is > 1?

I want to keep track of how many machines a customer activates, but I want to give the user a limited capability of reinstalling on the same machine. If I create a license and set License locked to Client machine but also set maximum activations to 3 will the user be prevented from installing and activating the program on three different machines?

If I allow a user to deploy my program to a virtual machine can they install the program on the virtual machine activate it and them make as many copies of the VHD file as they want and install it on as many machines as they want without me knowing it?

If I disable Allow Virtual Machine wht happens when a user tries to activate on a virtual machine?

Bill Walter

InishTech Dev
InishTech Dev
josullivan - 2/9/2010 10:07:05 AM

RE:Does License Locked to Client Machine prevent an attempt to activate multiple machines if Max Activations is > 1?

Bill

Locking a license to a machine only prevents that installed license from being copied to another machine after it has been activated.  It does not prevent the license from being activated on multiple machines - up to the limit of Max Activations set on the license.

So if you set the Max Activations to three on a Machine Locked license then the user has the ability to activate the license on three separate machines.  However, once installed on these machines the user is unable to copy the license to another machine.

If you wish to track how many machines a customer has activated a license on, every license activation is recorded on the SLP Online portal - and a distinct machine ID is recorded against each activation.

Today if you set AllowVM on a license then it is possible for the user to clone the VM.  If on the other hand you disallow VM support then the license will fail to install on a VM during the activation process.

Hope this clarifies matters.

enticraft.com - 10/7/2010 4:47:29 AM

RE:Does License Locked to Client Machine prevent an attempt to activate multiple machines if Max Activations is > 1?

Regarding the AllowVM...  what if I have Max Activations set to 3 times and allow VM.  Will the max activations still be 3 on all VM clones?  Or could user activate once on a VM and clone that VM several times (10 for example) and still I would see only 1 activation on SLP online?  If this is not correct, what will happen here?  I am trying to decide if I should allow VM on a trial.  There is possibly a little lack of VM knowledge on my side.

InishTech Dev
InishTech Dev
josullivan - 10/7/2010 5:36:21 AM

Bill

There are a numbere of separate issues here:

1. Max Activations determines the number of times a license can be activated irrespecctive of the type of machine (including VMs) on which it is being activated.
  2. Cloning a VM on which a license is already activated results in that license being available without activation on each clones - until such time as it expires or is othewise invalidated.
  3. Once a license expires or otherwise requires re-activation (e.g. subscription renewal) then each such reactivation counts as a separate activation and will be tracked on the Online portal.

If you are timelimiting a trial license (e.g. 30 day trial) then allowing VM is not a major issue as the license will expire on all clones at the same time.

Licensing on VMs is an issue that throws lots of people so I hope the above clarifies some of the issues involved.

-- John

There are currently no users on-line.

• Locked sticky
  • Hot sticky
  • Hot locked sticky
  • Thread
  • Hot thread
  • Locked thread